Scientists have confirmed that the structure of the brain has many similarities with the structure of the universe

Scientists have confirmed that the structure of the brain has many similarities with the structure of the universe

Comparing the structural features of the network of neurons in the human brain with the distribution of galaxies in the Universe, scientists have found many similarities.

Scientists from the Universities of Bologna and Verona conducted a study to determine if different physical processes could form structures with the same levels of complexity and self-organization.

In their work, they relied on the fact that the human brain has 69 million neurons, and the web of the observable Universe includes at least 100 million galaxies. At the same time, only 30% of the structure of both systems falls on active elements, which form long fibers with nodes, united into a single network. The remaining 70% are passive components: dark energy in the universe and water in the brain.

On the left is a snapshot of a section of the cerebellum with a 40x magnification, on the right is a section of the model of the structure of the cosmic web with an extension of 300 million light years on each side.

Based on these general characteristics, an English astrophysicist and an Italian neurosurgeon calculated the spectral density of the objects under study in order to study the fluctuations of their matter. The analysis showed that the level of oscillations in the neural network corresponds to the progression of the distribution of matter in space. Scientists also determined that they have similar clustering parameters and the number of connections in internal nodes, and interactions in both structures develop according to similar physical principles.

The researchers hope that such comparisons will help to better understand the features of the development of the two systems and improve analysis methods. Recently, astronomers have been actively using scientific achievements from various fields in their work, for example, NASA wants to photograph the surfaces of exoplanets using the Sun as an objective.

, Università di Bologna, Volker Springel / Virgo Consortium

Scientists have confirmed that the structure of the brain has many similarities with the structure of the universe

Leave a Comment